Monday, April 11, 2016

Extra Fuel and a Tiller Swap

In preparing for my sail to Carrabelle, Florida on or about mid June, I decided I needed to carry some extra diesel. Most likely I will motor across the state through Lake Okeechobee and a series of canals for a total distance of approximately 150 miles. I have no idea how much my Yanmar 56 HP diesel engine will consume on such a long motoring, so, better to be safe than sorry. My boat holds 45 gallons of diesel and with four 5 gallon jugs, I'll have 65 gallons total... my neighbor says that's more than enough.

I installed a Red Oak slat to secure the 5 gallon jugs to... debating the need for varnish or not.

Then, I changed out my small tiller, (one given to me by a friend when my original tiller died from wood rot), for a Westsail tiller given to me by a another friend when he bought a new one, (thanks Denis). I had to do a little repair work on it which impeded the visual aesthetics with epoxy filler, so white paint took care of that. (Perhaps I should just buy a new one all varnished and pretty but $400 with shipping just hurts too much).

The diesel mechanic is coming tomorrow, (raw water pump leaking and a good once over). The main sail coming off for repair, (restitching at the clew). Then driving a friend to Ft. Pierce to store his car while he continues sailing to Bermuda and beyond.

Busy... Busy... BUSY!





Fair seas and God bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment