Monday, January 23, 2017

Galley Upgrade

When I bought Annie in March of 2014, this is what her Galley looked like...

When I rebuilt the Galley, I, in my naivete, decided to use tile for my countertop. Big mistake!

Grout does not like to stay clean! No matter how often I cleaned it, the grout, though sealed with grout sealer, would still get dirty and because of the natural texture of grout, everything stuck to it.

Galley's initial refit

Be it as it may, a Galley upgrade was not in the plans... until... a refit sailor friend, Mike, on Solana had some leftover Corian and he offered it to me. I couldn't resist! Thanks Mike!

I estimated three days to upgrade the Galley.

One day to remove all trim, tear out the old tile, remove the grout, and prepare the countertop plywood for the Corian countertop.

One day to make a template, cut the Corian and install it.

One day to hook up a new sink, faucet, drain, etc., replace the trim, and clean up.

Guess what... for the first time in the history of projects on Annie... the estimated time was right!

Now, judge for yourself as to the upgrade...

Mike told me the best way to make a template...

Strips of thin plywood, hot glued together... It's great! Thanks again Mike!

This was an extra piece Mike had so one corner has to be spliced.

Add caption

Fair seas and God bless!

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Boom Cradle...

While waiting on a new thru-hull to arrive, I decided to tackle one of those jobs that isn't critical, but needs to be completed sooner or later. I have a number of these jobs laying around the boat, but this one has been bugging me lately. So, today, I removed, sanded, and revarnished my Boom Cradle.

Looks pretty good. I'll add pics to this post tomorrow night once it's dried and has been reinstalled.

Fair seas and God bless!

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Annie's Boot Stripe is On!

Annie's Boot Stripe is on... which officially ends all topside painting.

I will repaint the deck, engine room, and bilge before casting off for Saint Lucia... but Topside... we are finished! Yay!

Fair seas and God bless!

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Annie Wears Her Name!

After two plus years of working on Annie, she finally gets to wear her name!

Vinyl lettering from was the only place I could find that had the Scriptina font, which matches the font used on this blog.

Fair seas and God bless!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Built-In Chair Built In...

My built-in chair is now built-in.

What started as a quick two day project turned into almost a week. I just wanted a place in my V-Berth to sit down... put on my shoes... read a book...etc. etc. etc...

I think I'm finally learning boat math - quadruple the time or triple the cost and sometimes, do both!

My seat is set.

Fair seas and God bless!

The mess I make when doing simple projects...
The mess even overflows into the main cabin...
The almost finished product...
Still have to paint...
I know... Navy Blue with anchors... a little cliche.