Friday, April 28, 2017

Annie's Re-Splash...

After 319 days out of the water, Annie has finally re-splashed.

With the exception of one second of terror, her re-splash was uneventful. Before I share with you that second of terror, let me share with you what was accomplished in those 319 days:

  • The V-Berth was lowered and reworked
  • The old unused holding tank and all hoses were removed
  • The bottom hull was painted 
  • An AM/FM radio was installed
  • The hull's topside was painted 
  • Inside handholds were installed
  • A bulkhead compass was purchased/installed
  • The V-Berth Hatch was re-bedded, (it was leaking)
  • Unnecessary thru-hulls from the holding tanks were removed and hull repaired
  • A boot stripe was painted at the waterline
  • All chain plates were replaced
  • All standing rigging was inspected and replaced as needed
  • The cap-rails were repaired and painted
  • The aft lazarette was reworked to locate the house bank of batteries
  • Two (2) additional 125 amp hour AGM batteries were installed
  • Two additional 100 watt solar panels were installed
  • An 85 watt wind generator was installed
  • A 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter was installed
  • The companionway hatch cover was completely reworked, (leaking)
  • A broken water filter bracket was replaced
  • The manual whale gusher bilge pump was repaired
  • New stainless steel cotter pins replaced in all rigging
  • New lines were installed to the Monitor Windvane
  • The prop was sealed and painted
  • A dynaplate was installed
  • A redundant bilge pump system was designed and installed
  • All whisker stays were adjusted/tightened
  • The bowsprit was sanded and varnished
  • A belaying rack and pins was designed, built, and installed 
  • Double hatch locks were installed on the companionway
  • A depth finder/chart plotter was installed

Now, that may not seem like a lot to you, but when you splice in 120 mile per day drives in summer 2016, trips to San Francisco, Kentucky, South Florida, and Georgia,  a hurricane, a tropical storm, and a survey trip to Saint Lucia... yeah... we did good.

The moment of terror you ask? Oh, it wasn't that bad... Annie's forward strap just jumped forward about 4 inches when the travel lift's back left wheel rolled off the paved road while backing out. 20,000 pounds on my blood, sweat, and tears lurched forward as the strap moved... it wasn't that bad. JUST ONE SECOND OF SHEER TERROR! Once I was resuscitated, the remainder of the splash went just fine. :))

Annie is back in the water where she belongs!

Fair seas and God bless!

BTW... A special thanks to Allen and Steve for your help today... you guys are the best!










Allen and Steve size up the situation...

























video

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully done- what's left to do? Will you do a before/after photo summary? I've been enjoying following your work for a long while now. Almost there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Still have a few things to do but getting closer. I am working on a before/after video I'll post soon. Thanks for following Paul.

      Delete
  2. In my youth I worked in a yard launching boats eith a travelift. I always took a 1/2" line and tied the straps together right below where they left the hull towards the keel. I did it to both sides for a full keel boat just to be sure. Ended up being standard practice for all boat hauling and launches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately. the yard here tied one side which probably prevented a complete failure. The sound of the abrupt movement of 20,000 lbs. and the sound of the straps straining... my heart skipped a beat.

      Thanks for following Mike.

      Delete
  3. Good job on the launch.

    There's a Nor'sea owner who talks about getting the straps tied the way mike mentions to keep things from sliding.

    Now, go get the sails up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got her registration today... need to get the registration numbers on and then we're taking her out.

      Delete