Friday, May 8, 2015

RIBS! I Need Ribs!

No, I'm not really hungry... I'm in my V-Berth... and I need ribs!

When I removed the Cedar planks in the V-Berth, I discovered that the existing ribs, (slats of wood used to secure internal planks/paneling to), were at odd and inconsistent spacing, poorly epoxied to the hull, and only half pieces in places. It was totally unacceptable.






I removed all the old insulation and the pitifully partially epoxied ribs... tore it all out, smoothed and sanded the fiberglass hull, (I've been itching for two days). A very nasty job!





Once it was all removed I began the process of replacing the V-Berth ribs with 1x2 PVC ribs. They are waterproof, they bend easily, and since they are not used for structural integrity, but rather a place to secure interior planks/paneling, they are the perfect choice.

Figuring out how to bow/bend the PVC ribs to the curve of the hull while the 3M 5200 Fast Cure sets up... that was another thing. I ended up using multiple braces, (wood 1x2's), and it worked great, (I have a few screw holes to fill when I take away the braces).







Tomorrow, I will secure Veranda 8 ft. x 7-1/4 in. x 1/4 in. Vinyl Pre-finished Reversible Panel Planking Moulding. Being 8 ft. long they will be one piece front to back, there will be no joints to cover up and being vinyl, they are water proof. It should look good when it's finished... pictures in the next post.


More updated photos here...

Fair seas and God bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment