Friday, June 3, 2016

The Passage to Carrabelle... Day Three

Day three started a little later than day one and two; about 6:45 AM.

The Ortona Lock, which was 15 miles away from Moore Haven was undergoing construction repairs and the only hours you could pass was 7:00 AM to 7:30 AM, 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM, and 4:30 PM to 5:00 PM. It would be a three hour trip to the lock, (15 miles at 5 MPH), so the 7:00 AM to 7:30 AM window was out, (not negotiating canals in the dark). I left at 8:15 AM and arrived at 11:15 AM... the lockmaster let me through. Yey!

Because of the weather developing rapidly in the Gulf of Mexico, (a possible tropical depression or storm), coupled with my minimal experience level, I have decided to lay up in LaBelle City Marina until I can determine the progress of this storm. The marina is free and I would rather be safe than sorry. Plus, LaBelle is 50 miles inland, so riding out a storm here will be easier than on the coast.

Short trip from Moore Haven to LaBelle... only a couple of pics.

I'll pick up the day count once I continue the passage.

If you look close, there's a Westsail on the hard
Waiting for Colin to pass us by
Fair seas and God bless.


  1. Good idea to stay put until the storm passes. Especially since you're in unfamiliar waters.

    Good to see you're making progress. Hope the rest of the trip goes just as well.

    1. Thought of trying to outrun it but it would catch me in the Cedar Key area in open water with miles of shallow water.

      I'll wait until Wednesday and pick the passage back up.

      Thanks for the well-wishes.

  2. Congratulations David on the voyage so far. Little Cesears have a great deep dish if you don't make it as far as the log cabin bbq. And check out the dollar general there. It is like no other $ general in that it is huge.

    1. Thanks Peter.

      Going to get out today and do some exploring.

      BBQ sounds good though.

      Glad to see you made it safely back to the states.