Saturday, May 14, 2016

One Job Leads to Another...

As with many boat projects, one job leads to another.

On my moving list, (my list of things that have to take place before I can move the boat to Carrabelle, Florida), was "change engine oil." I purchased a neat little tool from Amazon to make that job run smoothly, the ABN 12 Volt Oil Fluid Diesel Extraction Pump... and it worked like a charm.

Ready for the oil change...

Once the oil was changed, I checked my levels and everything looked good. I opened the raw water thru-hull, and fired her up, (Annie always cranks right up and this time was no exception). I checked my water exhaust and it had good flow. I checked the oil gauge and it said, 0 PSI. I immediately turned her off and called the diesel mechanic to come check her out.

I do not have the time, tools, inclination, or knowhow to deal with this problem. I'm pretty sure it's the gauge or the sending unit, (the read out has always been a little low and jumpy at times), but considering she will be motoring at least 150 miles and probably more, she needs to be checked out by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm just a hack when it comes to diesel engines.

Considering I have 17 days, 18 hours, and 45 minutes until launch... there is no time to dally.

Best case scenario; the sending unit or gauge is bad. Worst case scenario; the oil pump is bad and the oil pump will have to be replaced, (I think the engine will have to be pulled in order to accomplish that repair).

Fair seas and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment