Thursday, December 29, 2016

Fair Seas Fuji...

Fuji, the Best First Mate Ever!
It is with a sad and heavy heart I report that my First Mate, Fuji, has set sail for distant shores.

He was almost thirteen years old and had been with me for nine of those years. Originally, he was my daughter's dog and she hand picked him from a large litter of pups, (I think he was the runt). I met Fuji when I went to visit her in Tybee Island, Georgia. I immediately loved him. He was only one year old at the time and was full of love, excitement, plus, he took to me also. I still remember him running full speed through the mud flats of Tybee Island when the tide was out... he was headed to the water. He was so happy about being alive, it was contagious.

When my daughter went into the Air Force, she asked me if I would keep him until she finished Basic Training and School. I agreed. He ended up staying with me for almost two years. Eventually, she took him back and honestly, I was lost without him.

In time, my daughter married and had a son and life instantly became overwhelmingly busy for her. She asked me if I would take Fuji permanently and I quickly agreed. From that point on, (2009), he was with me all the time, including Annie's refit, launch, and he lived aboard Annie with me until recently, when we moved to Carrabelle.

In the last six to eight months, his health deteriorated rapidly. Because he was a large breed and having Lab in him, he began to suffer from Hip Dysplasia and was experiencing considerable pain. It recently had gotten to the point where he could barely walk and would often fall. It was time to say "Good Bye" for mercy's and love's sake.

Today, I held him close as the Veterinarian released him from his pain. My heart is broken. He was my best friend.

Fair seas Fujiman. I will never forget you! My Sweet Boy.

Just a Pup...

He often slept with his tongue out...

Chasing his tail... one of his favorite past times when he was young.

Merry Christmas! 2007

Christmas Bone -2011
Taking over Dad's Pillow...

I don't want to get up yet...

Hats...

More Hats...

Aboard Annie!

Windy Day!

I'm Ready!

Sleeping on the Boat...head on Dad's leg... Big Baby!

My Ear is Stuck!

Overseeing the Refit.

SELFIE!

He loved to Run!

He loved the Water!

Rolling in the Sand!


I Love the Beach!

He loved to ride in the Car... Best Adventure Ever!

Excited about going for a ride in the car. (2014)

Staying with Nanny...
(This was his last picture)

6 comments:

  1. Fair Winds Fuji.

    A loyal friend is hard to lose.

    "Some people are going to leave, but that's not the end your story. That's the end of their part in your story." ~unknown

    Take Care, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan... Fuji was one of the best parts of my life. He will be missed.

      My Best Friend.

      Delete
  2. I truly believe he's running the shores of the crystal sea, waiting for our time to join him. Cherish the memories and know God loves him - almost as much as He loves you. May God hold you extra close right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you. No words can comfort the pain and emptiness left by his passing. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tyna.

      It has been and is harder than I thought it would be. At least I know he is no longer in pain.

      Delete