Friday, September 4, 2015

It's Getting Cold in Here!

It finally happened... I have refrigeration!

I decided to bite the bullet and go with the NORCOLD SCQT-4408 Icebox Conversion Kit. It is dual voltage 110AC/12V DC which automatically senses the power supply. It defaults to using 110 AC but automatically switches to DC if the AC cuts out or is disconnected.

The original plan was to put the compressor under the port settee right next to the icebox... but after closer examination and consultation with my buddy Jack from s/v Drifter, (thanks Jack), I decided to put it under the dual burner non-pressurized alcohol stove. This placement works best considering the copper refrigeration lines and ventilation requirements.

I'm not completely finished... I have to cut a ventilation vent, tube the ventilation supply, seal and insulate my PVC bulkhead, build a countertop for my stove that will still allow access to the compressor if needed, wire the 12V lines to the DC panel, and come up with some sort of shelving organization inside both the freezer side and refrigeration side.

At last check the evaporator was starting to ice and the freezer space was getting cold. (I do not have a thermometer to get exact readings).

Fair seas and God bless!

Getting started


The Evaporator



The compressor is intentionally angled due to the hull curvature

PVC divider

I need to go buy groceries.




39 and 23 Degrees Baby!

...and Fuji helped... (is that a yawn? Such a hard worker!)

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you'll have cold drinks on board.

    I just got back to VA from TN with the boat in tow. Nice to get on it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Dan! Back to the refitting!

      It is very nice to be able to buy meat and not have to cook it immediately. ... and COLD DRINKS!

      Delete